Ingredients for Burnt Garlic Fried Rice:
|2 cups cooked rice, preferably chilled (leftover rice works best)
|4 cloves of garlic, finely minced
|1 small onion, finely chopped
|1 carrot, finely diced
|1/2 cup peas
|2 tablespoons soy sauce
|1 tablespoon oyster sauce (optional)
|1 teaspoon sesame oil
|2 tablespoons vegetable oil
|Salt and pepper to taste
|Spring onions (scallions) for garnish
Method for Cooking Burnt Garlic Fried Rice:
- Heat vegetable oil in a large stainless steel pan over medium heat.
- Add the minced garlic to the hot oil and sauté until it turns golden brown and slightly crispy. Be careful not to burn it, as burnt garlic can become bitter.
- Remove half of the fried garlic from the skillet and set it aside for garnishing later.
- In the same pan, add chopped onion and diced carrot. Sauté for 2-3 minutes until the vegetables start to soften.
- Add peas to the pan and continue to cook for another 2 minutes.
- Push the vegetables to one side of the pan and crack an egg into the empty space. Scramble the egg and cook until it is lightly set.
- Add the chilled cooked rice to the pan, breaking up any clumps. Stir-fry the rice and vegetables together, ensuring they are evenly mixed.
- Pour soy sauce and oyster sauce (if using) over the rice. Toss everything together, coating the rice and vegetables evenly with the sauces.
- Drizzle sesame oil over the fried rice and season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir-fry for an additional 2-3 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- Remove the Burnt Garlic Fried Rice from the heat and garnish with the reserved fried garlic and chopped spring onions (scallions).
Serve the Burnt Garlic Fried Rice as a delicious and flavorful main dish or as a side to complement your favorite Asian-inspired meals. The crispy burnt garlic adds a delightful crunch and depth of flavor to the fragrant and satisfying fried rice. Enjoy!